[dns-operations] the real reason for ICANN's gTLD expansion seems to be...

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Dec 11 17:15:28 UTC 2017

Paul,

For the record and as I suspect you’re well aware, the actual real reason for ICANN’s gTLD expansion was to increase competition in the namespace. Some folks felt that Verisign had an effective monopoly and “the community” felt the best way to address that monopoly was to create additional top-level domains.

Note I am not commenting on the correctness or even logic of that position — it is water under the bridge at this point.

I strongly suspect you’re preaching to the choir on this mailing list: the folks from the registries who participate in DNS-OARC are not likely to be found anywhere near the top of Symantec’s list or others like the ICANN org’s own DNS Abuse Analytics and Reporting (DAAR) list of abused registries.  While preaching to the choir may build a pleasing sense of camaraderie, I’m not sure it does all that much to change things. I will note there is an ongoing effort to discuss the next round of new gTLDs (known as the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process, see https://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/new-gtld-subsequent-procedures). I personally believe it would be important for the operational community, in particular both the DNS and security/anti-abuse operational communities, to provide input, early and often, that will help that policy development process incorporate lessons learned from those communities.

But, as always, YMMV.

Regards,
-drc
ICANN CTO, but speaking only for myself