[dns-operations] .store gTLD "name collision" status?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Apr 29 18:27:32 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:

> In accordance with:
>
>    https://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/agreements/name-collision-assessment-04aug14-en.htm
>
> new gTLDs initially publish "Name collision assessment" wildcard records.
> My expectation was that such records are removed once the gTLDs goes live
> registering real delegations.
>
> There are now many .store delegations, but the wildcard "collision assessment" records
> persist.
>
> example.store.          A       127.0.53.53
> example.store.          MX      10 your-dns-needs-immediate-attention.store.
> example.store.          SRV     10 10 0 your-dns-needs-immediate-attention.store.
> example.store.          TXT     "Your DNS configuration needs immediate attention see https://icann.org/namecollision"
>
> Is that to be expected?

It certainly wasn't expected by me :-)

I personally believe that name collisions have to potential to cause
real issues, but that the way that ICANN chose to "mitigate" them (the
above) is entirely inadequate / basically a no-op.
The fact that this has been sitting here, unnoticed for ~a year
demonstrates that -- if "controlled interruption" was actually
working, this would have been noticed before...