[dns-operations] ICANN and gTLDs (Was: wildcards in TLDs

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 28 09:27:03 UTC 2017

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 10:14, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
>> It does however “make policy” for almost all gTLDs
>
> What are the exceptions? .arpa, .mil and .gov?

Yup. Maybe .edu too. Not that I care either way.

The gTLDs created by ICANN have contracts which require them to be bound by ICANN policies: escrow, reporting, fees, UDRP, EPP schema, selling via ICANN-accredited registars, whois, DNS performance, etc. These policies also apply to .com, .net and .org. AFAIK they don’t apply to the other historic gTLDs that were around before ICANN existed.