[dns-operations] check if a domain has been registered via DNS

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Thu Apr 27 19:24:08 UTC 2017

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 3:10 PM, John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>
> Um, other than the the very peculiar .NAME TLD, I'm reasonably sure
> you're mistaken.
>
>> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
>> ;vwtelecom.eu.                  IN      NS

Indeed you're right.  I did not expect the CNAME to be implemented
at the zone apex, because AFAIK that's illegal.  The zone apex ends
up with both CNAME and SOA records (and more):

  vwtelecom.eu. IN NSEC localhost.vwtelecom.eu. NS CNAME SOA MX RRSIG NSEC DNSKEY

Is that "kosher"?  Or are domains such as this misconfigured?

--
	Viktor.