[dns-operations] anycasting axfr

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Wed Apr 19 08:32:00 UTC 2017

On 19/04/2017 09:58, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> The fastest AXFR took 3.3s, while the slowest took 62.5s.

Someone just asked me privately about why even the fastest AXFR took as
long as 3.3 seconds, while using dig shows faster transfers. I had
forgotten to mention that I performed my analysis using a python script
and the dnspython module, which is terribly slow at constructing a zone
object from an AXFR. Real-life transfers between the root name servers
and dig (or another regular name server as client) will be far faster.

Regards,
Anand