[dns-operations] anycasting axfr

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Apr 19 02:44:08 UTC 2017

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 9:44 AM, John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>
> You might want to look at slides 18 and 19 of the deck Tony referred to:
>
> https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog37/presentations/matt.levine.pdf
>
> One of their tests was IPTV downloads where a significant number of sessions
> lasted more than 10 minutes. They worked fine, like 99.98% success.
>
> That was 10 years ago but I don't see why the results would be worse now.

Agreed.  A couple of times a month I transfer a 20GB file from a remote
server.  The file is compressed and I want to extract a subset of the
data fields, so instead of saving it to disk I just stream the output
of "curl" to "gunzip", and core the processes the data.

While this could in theory encounter broken TCP connections and lose
state requiring a download from scratch, that has never happened as
yet.  The TCP session stays up for over an hour and transfers all
the data.

The full .com zone file is substantially smaller at 2.6GB, I similarly
stream that to "gunzip" even more frequently.

The root zone at ~1.6MB is negligibly small in comparison (by 3 to 4
orders of magnitude).

--
	Viktor.