[dns-operations] max-clients-per-query limit

Witold Krecicki wpk at isc.org
Tue Apr 4 18:27:44 UTC 2017

The limit is 'for one recursive resolution' - if BIND receives a query
for something it's already processing (and the answer is not in cache)
then it'll not start a new resolution but add this query to a list of
clients waiting for the result of the one already being processed.
clients-per-query is the default limit on the number of clients waiting
for a single result, it can be dynamically changed by BIND but it'll
never exceed max-clients-per-query.
Mark Andrews explained it quite nicely here:
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2011-March/083330.html
--
wpk