[dns-operations] Google DNS ignores DNSSEC validation failure

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Thu Sep 29 13:17:51 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Daniel Stirnimann <
daniel.stirnimann at switch.ch> wrote:

> I've added an unsigned zone insecuretest.switch.ch but did not add the
> delegation in the parent zone. Thus, on validating resolvers a lookup
> returns SERVFAIL.

I can't speak for Google, but in general how this is handled depends on
resolver implementation.  The SERVFAIL here isn't really because of a
validation failure; it is because the resolver is getting inconsistent
results when communicating with the authoritative server, while querying to
establish a chain of trust.  When it asks for insecuretest.switch.ch/DS,
the query is answered from the parent zone (switch.ch), and the result is
NXDOMAIN because there is no delegation in the parent zone.

http://dnsviz.net/d/insecuretest.switch.ch/V-0R1g/dnssec/

Note that the NSEC proof accompanying the NXDOMAIN response is valid.  When
it asks for insecuretest.switch.ch/A the query is answered from the child
zone, and the name exists--even if the record doesn't.  The inconsistent
NXDOMAIN/NOERROR response can cause a server to respond with SERVFAIL, but
it depends on the order the queries, among other things.

Cheers,
Casey