[dns-operations] EDNS response only with DO=1

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Wed Sep 28 12:02:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Can someone please explain the logic in building a DNS server that
> supports EDNS but only returning a EDNS response if DO=1?

This can be problematic in practice.  I have seen instances where a
validating recursive server failed to validate the response from an
authoritative server that supplied RRSIGs but no OPT record (in response to
query with EDNS DO=1).

Not everyone can recover gracefully from seemingly small disregard for
protocol.

Regards,
Casey