[dns-operations] Alternatives to ldns-verify-zone

Emil Natan shlyoko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:17:56 UTC 2016

validns is great, I love how fast it is, but it suffers the same issue,
last update is 3 years old. Lately I discovered an issue and had to fix it
myself, hopefully I'll find time to make the fix better and try to push it
out. Bugs fixing with ldns are slow or non existing.

We do many sorts of checks on our zonefiles but in terms of tools we use
the combo of named-checkzone and dnssec-verify (for syntax and dnssec
verification), ldns-verify-zone and validns.

There is also a tool from Verisign - YAZVS (http://yazvs.verisignlabs.com/),
but I failed to build one of the dependencies (a perl module) so I never
actually tried it.

And there is also zonemaster ( https://www.zonemaster.net/ ) which have a
great set of checks, but I never used it for pre-publication checks. I
rather used its comprehensive documentation to implement few of its checks
in custom shell scripts.

Emil