[dns-operations] DNS filtering in the UK

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Sep 15 01:44:03 UTC 2016

the problem with this kind of dns filtering is that it has all the
problems we described in the SOPA wars, but those are too detailed for
policy makers to grok, and the real problems caused by this kind of
filtering will prevent the creation of DNSSEC-aware applications, but
there are none at the moment.

so, what i hear from the losers in the SOPA wars now is, we weren't
lying, DNS filtering at scale does not break the internet, just look at
what they're doing in europe. and i don't have a single DNSSEC-aware
application to point at, that breaks due to DNS filtering.

for all i know TPP will bring it all back around again. bad ideas never
die, they just go into submarine mode for a while and then pop up
someplace else.

vixie