[dns-operations] DNS server benchmarking sanity check

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Wed Sep 14 09:40:03 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 12:43:06PM +0200, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> I'm doing some DNS server benchmarking, and I think I've got a lab setup
> that looks right, but I'd like to run my config past you guys, the
> experts, to make sure I'm not overlooking anything obvious.

So one month later, I can report that Anand's testing was extremely useful
for PowerDNS. Anand was kind enough not to report on our very disappointing
numbers in his measurements, but it was a call to action for us.

https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2016-September/024457.html

"When we studied their results (with help from Anand), also using telemetry
via Metronome (see
https://blog.powerdns.com/2014/12/11/powerdns-graphing-as-a-service/ ),
we found that PowerDNS Authoritative was not well set-up to operate as a
root server.

We then embarked on a large refactoring of Authoritative to improve
root server performance, and have achieved at least a factor of five (or, a
400%) improvement (see graphs below)."

Graphs are on
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/4467#issuecomment-246932898

	Bert