[dns-operations] if you're banning ANY queries, don't forget to ban SOA as well

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 6 11:46:42 UTC 2016

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 2:52 AM, Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:
>

> I think it's the "no drawbacks" that is a point of contention. The
> drawback is the loss of ANY functionality, which is quite useful to
> humans.

This is my problem, I’ve relied on ‘any’ for years to not need to know the QTYPE and get back
related information at a specific node.  Having to enumerate 250+ types as a human is
frustration and still not clearly resolved.  The AnyA to return AAAA or A will be helpful
once it appears, or if applications like dig do the complex computer part for the humans,
but often times the pedantic folks prevent user friendly solutions.

- Jared