[dns-operations] isphuset.no/fsdata.se DNSSEC breakage

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Sep 5 17:53:29 UTC 2016

On 9/5/2016 10:09 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> So, to be clear,
>
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 12:32:04PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
>>
>> After another week or so request that .NO remove the delegations,
>> if it is still not fixed.
> […]
>> There has to be a penalty for continuing to use nameservers that
>> cause operational problems.
>
> your recommendation for fixing the thing that causes some operational
> problems is to make sure that the domain is broken for every possible
> operational case.  Right?

No, the solution is to shift the pain to the entity responsible for the
zone, in the hopes that it motivates them to get it fixed. At worst, it
removes a zone that no one cares about from the 'net.

You are espousing the traditional "We have to help people limp along no
matter how broken they are!" attitude that has suffused the DNS protocol
and operational communities for the last 20+ years. While on one hand
that seems a noble sentiment, it has seriously exacerbated the "long
tail" problem that has prevented (or made nearly impossible) any true
innovation in the space, even if such innovation is to fix the problems
this attitude has created.

Doug