[dns-operations] if you're banning ANY queries, don't forget to ban SOA as well

P Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Sep 3 17:59:00 UTC 2016

Yes! In fact 1:1 at the packet level is enough for effective ddos, even if it's attenuative at the octet level.

This is why DNS RRL attenuates at both the packet and octet levels.

The proponents of blocking ANY have not modeled the attackers' goals, nor their alternatives.

Blocking ANY is silly.

Vixie