[dns-operations] .US name server glue error

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Sep 2 22:49:14 UTC 2016

In message <57C9F2DD.9020000 at redbarn.org>, Paul Vixie writes:
> the delegation from the root zone to US includes this address
> information for B.CCTLD.US:
>
> > ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> > b.cctld.us.             172800  IN      AAAA    2001:503:d1ae:ffff:ffff:f
> fff:ffff:ff7e
> > b.cctld.us.             172800  IN      A       156.154.125.70
>
> that AAAA RRset differs from the authority AAAA RRset for the same name:
>
> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > b.cctld.us.             5722    IN      AAAA    2001:503:d1ae:ffff:ffff:f
> fff:ffff:ff7e
> > b.cctld.us.             5722    IN      AAAA    2001:502:ad09::29
>
> therefore, dnsviz complains, as it should. this isn't broken, but it is
> ugly.

And it is something that is supposed to be checked regularly by both
the parent and child zone operators as per RFC 1034.

"As the last installation step, the delegation NS RRs and glue RRs
necessary to make the delegation effective should be added to the parent
zone.  The administrators of both zones should insure that the NS and
glue RRs which mark both sides of the cut are consistent and remain so."

I'm pretty sure ICANN is doing this for the root zone but this RFC
REQUIREMENT is skipped by lots of the TLD operators.

Mark