[dns-operations] smart failover: Lua record experiments

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Wed Nov 2 08:35:25 UTC 2016

> What happens if Amazon adopts this, and I stick a while true loop in
> my zone? Does their entire infrastructure go down?

If I understand it correctly, this boils down to "me" supplying some kind of
code to generate DNS records, and that code will be run by "you" in your DNS
infrastructure. This is not such a big problem if I supply scripts to my own
zone served by my own infrastructure, but how is one supposed to verify code
that is externally supplied?

It's reasonable to draw a parallel with the ad industry where they tried to
limit what (flash) functionality ads can use -- that had its own challenges.

Robert