[dns-operations] Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Sun May 1 04:18:30 UTC 2016

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Fred Morris <m3047 at m3047.net> wrote:
>
> Top-posting, because I quoted a lot. Ok now I'm a little disturbed.
>
> To me, this looks like a label which is CNAMED to a zone. What's laid out
> seems like the most straightforward way to accomplish this. Paul, what
> you're saying seems to be that CNAMEs can't just point to anything:
> specifically they can't point to a domain containing NS and SOA records.
>
> Maybe I'm lazy, and I should go read RFCs...
>
> Anyway, this line of reasoning suggests to me that once a domain is
> CNAMEd, nothing downstream (a subdomain) can ever be delegated. I'd never
> really thought of it that way before.

99.95% of the requests for CNAME at existing name can be summarized as follows
“If the RR type in question does non exit here please check this other name”.

This is the same as many people used to believe about wild cards
i.e. they fill in the blanks

The “bad” news is that DNS is not designed that way and
unless you are only using one vendor that supports features like this you are out of luck.

   Olafur