[dns-operations] Recommended zone serial number format for over 100 changes / day

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Mar 30 19:35:26 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-30 11:56, Jonathan Tuliani wrote:

> Hi DNS Gurus,
>
> RFC1912 recommends the following SOA serial number format: YYYYMMDDnn
>
> However, this does not support more than 100 updates per day (whilst
> this sounds like a lot, the fluidity of the Cloud means there are some
> applications where large numbers of changes are commonplace).
>
> Is there a recommended serial format that supports large numbers of
> changes?

Whatever you want? There's really no reason to maintain YYYYMMDDnn
unless you're editing zones by hand and can't keep notes.

I use YYYY followed by a timestamp for zones that are synthesized from
database. I stuck with the YYYY because I had a stupid monitoring system
that would throw errors, but it just looked for 20[012]\d{5,} or
similar. Threw out that system, but the format stuck until there's a
reason to change it.

The only real consideration when you're changing formats is to make sure
that either your new format starts out generating higher serial numbers
than you use today, or that you're ready and able to get your slaves to
accept lower serial numbers once. If you control your slaves, this is
trivial, but if you use a hosted solution, it may be more complicated.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/