[dns-operations] Software that refuses an answer by QTYPE if it comes over plain UDP?

Olafur Gudmundsson ogud at ogud.com
Tue Mar 22 19:12:03 UTC 2016

> On Mar 17, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Edward Lewis <edward.lewis at icann.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/17/16, 14:10, "dns-operations on behalf of Paul Vixie"
> <dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>
>> these queries are diagnostic in nature, and i've always felt fine
>> denying them to the unwashed masses. only my own NOC needs to know. i
>> think CF is well within its rights on their QTYPE=255 (ANY) behaviour.
>
> I agree, but I wish they wouldn't repurpose the TXT record that way.
>
> Oops, err, the HINFO record.

Ed,

There have been 3 instances so far where the way CF responds to ANY has caused issues,
in two of those people thanked for clearly telling them what was going on. The reason this was the case is
their dns tools displayed HINFO as text.
In one instance this caused someone to go on a big rant on Twitter.
In this case I think Human Factors wins over Dogma, in the perfect world we should be able to return an answer with the
“DropeDead” RRtype.

Olafur