[dns-operations] TC=1 with RA=0 from a recursive resolver

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Mar 21 14:24:00 UTC 2016

bert hubert <bert.hubert at powerdns.com> wrote:

> On a philosophical note, the glibc position is defensible but since both
> Google DNS and dnsdist made the mistake of setting RA=RD *after* judging if
> the question merited a TC=0 response or not means it may be better to be
> 'liberal in what you accept'.  Others might make the same mistake.

Shouldn't RA be set independently of the query, purely based on the server
configuration? If I make a RD=0 query against a recursive server I should
get an RD=0 RA=1 response.

Tony.
Fair Isle, Faeroes: West or northwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 until later.
Moderate or rough, becoming slight or moderate. Occasional rain, fog patches
developing. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.