[dns-operations] dnssec via dynamic updates

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 18 21:25:39 UTC 2016

In message <CAE_wXn3iFoqZkz7EDcvigwWQe=Ynv94MDMmKP0brtRdXk51RDQ at mail.gmail.com>, Peter Andreev writes
:
> Bert,
>
> Thank you, I'll take a closer look at PowerDNS.
>
> Brett, Evan,
>
> The signer is under third party management and I have no access to it.
> After signing they upload a zone file to server under my command. I
> can negotiate for file format, will it be for example a zone file or
> food for nsupdate or whatever, but changing the way how we interact is
> near-impossible.

I'm still not clear why you need to do UPDATE.  You need to compute
a delta and send it in a in a single UPDATE message which is limited
to 64K.  Named's ixfr-from-differences can compute the delta and
is not limited to a 64K delta size.

Named does simple secure update which essentially says named is
managing the DNSSEC records.  It wouldn't be hard to add a option
to disable all the extra work simple secure update does.

Mark