[dns-operations] Software that refuses an answer by QTYPE if it comes over plain UDP?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Mar 17 18:10:56 UTC 2016

i view QTYPE=255 (ANY) as a privileged operation, similar to RD=0 where
RA=1, or QTYPE=2 (NS), or TCP when i havn't sent TC=1 and wouldn't. (i
suppose i'd have to relax on the TCP matter once we have keepalives.)

these queries are diagnostic in nature, and i've always felt fine
denying them to the unwashed masses. only my own NOC needs to know. i
think CF is well within its rights on their QTYPE=255 (ANY) behaviour.

vixie