[dns-operations] Software that refuses an answer by QTYPE if it comes over plain UDP?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed Mar 16 06:41:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-15 09:41, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:
> Along these lines, CloudFlare have talked about their handling of
> qtype=ANY[1], and mentioned this:
>
>> >Disabling or throttling ANY is not unprecedented. UltraDNS disabled
> them briefly in 2013 with little impact visible to Internet users. A
> number of operators have refused to answer ANY queries over UDP, forcing
> the traffic to TCP, with the side effect that forged ANY queries are not
> amplified.
>
> [1]:https://blog.cloudflare.com/deprecating-dns-any-meta-query-type/

Yet CloudFlare went further, disabling them over TCP as well. I'm a
little disappointed by this as they're certainly a timesaver when
troubleshooting (although I suppose that doesn't make any difference to
them)

Personally, I hope that dig revolves a new fakeany option that simply
fires off each possible QTYPE separately and merges the results (and
it's not that hard to script, but it would be convenient to not need to
drag around yet-another script)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/