[dns-operations] 答复: L-Root IPv6 Address renumbering

Stephan Lagerholm stlagerh at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 14 02:52:06 UTC 2016

Hi Terry,

I find the renumbering schedule rather aggressive and I disagree that DNS resolver operators are treated as children should the timeframe be extended.

The operation of the root zone is critical, there is a reason why there are 13 operators. And no recursive software would try all 11+13 existing addresses before giving up and returning SERVFAIL, at best I would expect 3 or perhaps 4 tries before that happens.

Has the timeline been discussed in the Root Server System Advisory Committee where you are a member? Are all the members in agreement that best operational practice is to shut down an old address 6 months after renumbering?

It does not seem to be to be a large operational burden to keep the old address longer, what is the driving force behind this aggressive timeline?

Thanks, Stephan