[dns-operations] whois in a soundbite

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Wed Mar 2 21:14:12 UTC 2016

This might be a tad off-topic for a DNS operations list, but many confuse
DNS hosting with running a registry.

On 3/2/16, 3:44, "dns-operations on behalf of Shane Kerr"
<dns-operations-bounces at dns-oarc.net on behalf of
shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

>For operators, RDAP should be less operational pain than WHOIS. Fingers
>crossed. :)

My first reaction to this thread - not liking WhoIs - is this story from
my college days.

A comedian came to my college, filled with Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox fans
(if you don't know those terms, it won't matter) and mentioned giving a
show at "Yankee Stadium."  The room was instantly filled with boos and
hisses from the Mets and Red Sox fans (of course).  The comedian was
shocked, stopped and quizzically commented "you are booing a building?"

Yes, hating a protocol is like hating a building.  WhoIs is just what it
is.

Disliking WhoIs is kind of disliking two-year old children.  WhoIs, as a
protocol is just a simple open connection, send ASCII, get ASCII, close
connection.  It has no reason to be anything more, it can't be.  RDAP
compares to that by complicating everything all up, kind of like a
teenager (relationship status: "its complicated").  I can't see any way
operating RDAP would be less painful (or more for that matter) than WhoIs.

OTOH the pain of incorrect WhoIs is real and a result of how WhoIs is put
together.  I don't anticipate that changing horses to RDAP will magically
fix that issue.  GIGO will rule.  But there is hope.  RDAP has reasons to
displace WhoIs and is already doing so in some sectors of the registration
market (RIRs).  RDAP also empowers policy makers to seek 'a better WhoIs.'