[dns-operations] The strange case of fox.com

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Mar 1 23:18:53 UTC 2016

In message <20160301203715.GA6017 at mycre.ws>, Robert Edmonds writes:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> > And if the same notice went out with "you have 28 days to correct
> > this or the delegation will be removed from the com zone" and this
> > was just followed through what would the effect be?  There are no
> > checks as balances in the system.  Sometimes you need to break the
> > zone completely to get the zone fixed.
>
> Sounds like a great phishing campaign. "You have 28 days to correct this
> or your domain name will be removed. Click here to login and fix it."

That sounds like a strawman.  Sane businesses will do what banks
do these days and have words saying "We will never send you a link"
or similar.

"You have 28 days to correct this or your domain name will be removed.
Please login into you account and fix it.

$REGISTRAR will never ask you to click on a link via email."

so their customers can detect when they are being phished.  Yes
phishing is a threat but one which all businesses should be aware
of and should be taking steps to see that their customers are not
exposed by their correspondence.

If the registry was to do send the messages it would be something like

... Please contact $REGISTRAR to update your records.

Mark