[dns-operations] whois in a soundbite

Matthias Leisi matthias at leisi.net
Tue Mar 1 19:25:10 UTC 2016

> Am 01.03.2016 um 16:43 schrieb Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>:
>

>> On 1 Mar 2016, at 10:49, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> WHOIS data typically does not contain contact information of those
>>> who can make changes to zone contents.
>>
>> That's the best summary of the uselessness of Whois...
>
> I can do better in fewer words: whois is utterly useless.

-0.5 for the specific situation of dnswl.org: we regularly check whois. Good quality whois data has some correlation with generally well-run networks.

„Good quality“ has many variables, amongst them: is it available at all, is it consistent with other identifying information (eg contact information on a website), is it not using an identity-hiding service, is it obviously outdated, does it use obviously fake data etc.

I’m aware that this does not scale well to other situations.

— Matthias