[dns-operations] Acceptable query limit to root servers

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jun 8 15:10:46 UTC 2016

> On 7 Jun 2016, at 19:16, Andrew White <andrew at vivalibre.com> wrote:
>
> The concern is that a routing issue or other connectivity problem, likely inside our network, may make recursion impossible, and we'd like the server to stop participating in our Anycast recursive platform if such an issue exists.

It seems odd to me to use DNS queries to detect routing problems. But whatever: your network, your rules. If you do continue down that path, bear in mind that the root servers will be better connected than just about everything else on the Internet and should be just about bomb-proof from that perspective. A positive reply from one of them might mean your ops team don’t pick up on a routing/connectivity problem with other important DNS servers that matter to your customers.

It might also be worth considering connectivity checks from the core of your network out as well as from the edges of the Internet in.

Monitoring connectivity to the root servers is all very well. But maybe you need to be sure you can reach (and be reached?) by other locations that matter? Like the rfc1035.com name servers. :-) Well OK, they matter to *me*. :-)