[dns-operations] Acceptable query limit to root servers

Andrew White andrew at vivalibre.com
Tue Jun 7 15:12:26 UTC 2016

Hi fellow DNS operators,

I work at Charter, and this is not an official Charter communique :)

We are considering adding some health checks on our recursive DNS platform.

We'd like to ensure each server has access to the root via a remote dig at
the recursive server. Specifically we are considering a query to an
effectively random top-level domain that should always be answered by an
NXDOMAIN by a root server.

Given the large number of servers and our need to perform this check fairly
often, this could result in a large number of queries resulting in NXDOMAIN
to the root.

Is there a best common practice as to how many of these types queries per
second are considered non-impacting to the root servers, or a better method
for determining recursion to the root from a large recursive platform?

Andrew White