[dns-operations] Sad news today: systemd-resolved to be deployed in Ubuntu 16.10

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Mon Jun 6 15:51:55 UTC 2016

Hello Paul,

On 5 Jun 2016, at 20:29, Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, Phil Regnauld wrote:
>
> systemd-resolved requires a forwarder. It is not a full DNS recursive
> server. So source port randomization is pretty useless as you are most
> likely just doing DNS on the local network.

As others said, many machines are pointed at 8.8.8.8, providing a clear
‘outside’ path for attackers to sit on (or ‘off’). Source port
randomisation is very useful in this case because systemd-resolved also
caches, and thus is much more prone to poisoning than a simple stub like
the one in libc is.

As for the NAT argument I read somewhere in the thread, yes, NAT often
demolishes your randomised ports. But machines behind NAT are not the
primary audience for a spoofing attack (and besides, “some networks
will derandomise your ports” is not a real argument against
randomisation). Machines out on the Internet, that you can convince to
do queries for you (like by talking to their SMTP for a bit) are the
audience, and those will benefit hugely from port randomisation between
systems-resolved and their upstream resolver (which often is 8.8.8.8
these days, even for servers!).

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk