[dns-operations] Sad news today: systemd-resolved to be deployed in Ubuntu 16.10

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Fri Jun 3 12:23:08 UTC 2016

Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> could we perhaps provide an alternative implementation as a
> replacement for systemd-resolved that would provide the same services
> on top of getdns?

that sounds wise.

when i fixed the kashpureff poisoning problem in 1994, i found that the
libresolv code had been copied into at least 100 places that were beyond
my reach and beyond the reach of any technical warning/notice.

it is unwise for dns outsiders to treat dns as something they can
implement in passing and then forget about. far better that dns
outsiders find a common library dependency and use it.

if this requires changing the library or adding API's, that's best.

systemd's knee-jerk naive implementation of DNS should prove this.

--
P Vixie