[dns-operations] Sad news today: systemd-resolved to be deployed in Ubuntu 16.10

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Fri Jun 3 09:15:20 UTC 2016

Moin!

On 3 Jun 2016, at 10:58, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> Ralf Weber (dns) writes:
>> For starters it's totally un obvious and not transparent at all.
>> Before that
>> the IP in /etc/resolv.conf would point to the address I would use to
>> send my
>> DNS queries to and could debug from. Now a dig to that IP might
>> reveal
>> something totally different to what the app sees. If we not convince
>> them to
>> change it hopefully it is possible to turn it off.
>
> 	From comments on the thread, it turns out that Desktop and touch were
> 	already using dnsmasq and pointing to 127.0.0.1 - so it's no big
> change
> 	there.
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but Martins initial post describes the name
server
being 127.0.0.1 as an issue and that the new behaviour has the DHCP or
static
set name server in /etc/resolv.conf yet it will consult resolved first.
This to
me is an issue.

I have /etc/resolv.conf set to 127.0.0.1 on a lot of my hosts and run a
full
blown resolver there, but I don't want some daemon that I don't know of
get in
the way of my DNS request.

So long
-Ralf