[dns-operations] DNS Made Easy - DNS Contact?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Jul 18 13:12:37 UTC 2016

Jan Včelák <jan.vcelak at nic.cz> wrote:

> We have been reported by one of our users that DNS Made Easy slave
> servers won't transfer zone from Knot DNS master, because Knot DNS
> doesn't send "authoritative response" [sic] for the SOA query.

If your server isn't authoritative for the zone then surely trying to AXFR
it is futile.

(In the past I had a related problem with a different DNS service
provider; they were using RD=1 queries as a configuration liveness check,
separate from their name server. This failed when my server started
refusing recursive queries from non-local clients, even for its
authoritative zones. Two cases of arguably nonconformant configuration
combined to cause an outage.)

Tony.
Lundy, Fastnet: Variable 3 or 4, becoming east 4 or 5. Slight, occasionally
moderate. Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.