[dns-operations] is www.qq.com a zone?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jul 1 21:34:21 UTC 2016

Which is all fine until it doesn't work.  Is www.qq.com supposed
to work over IPv6 because the chances of getting a AAAA addresses
from a cache are close to zero.  If you ask for the A record first
or ~300 seconds after asking for the A record the AAAA will not be
returned.

As far as I can tell the is a web server at the IPv6 address
configured for www.qq.com as curl with the right set of arguement
returns the page using IPv6 but I had to resort to manually putting
is the literal IPv6 address to check as 'curl -6' doesn't find a
AAAA address.

curl --connect-to www.qq.com:80:[240e:e1:8100:28:0:0:2:16]:80 http://www.qq.com

Note you need to protect the command from the shell (not shown).

So if you are IPv6 only and there are no clients asking for A records
from the recursive server you will see the AAAA records.

% telnet 240e:e1:8100:28::2:16 80
Trying 240e:e1:8100:28::2:16...
Connected to 240e:e1:8100:28::2:16.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> q
Connection closed.
%

% dig www.qq.com aaaa
;; BADCOOKIE, retrying.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0a3 <<>> www.qq.com aaaa
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; COOKIE: c43e0a0a9f177f2e6de350185776da14c546f347647edc7f (good)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.qq.com.			IN	AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.qq.com.		295	IN	CNAME	qq.com.edgesuite.net.
qq.com.edgesuite.net.	20994	IN	CNAME	a1574.b.akamai.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
b.akamai.net.		417	IN	SOA	n0b.akamai.net. hostmaster.akamai.com. 1467406282 1000 1000 1000 1800

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Jul 02 07:01:08 EST 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 188

% dig www.qq.com @ns-cmn1.qq.com aaaa +nocookie

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0a3 <<>> www.qq.com @ns-cmn1.qq.com aaaa +nocookie
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.qq.com.			IN	AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.qq.com.		300	IN	AAAA	240e:e1:8100:28::2:16

;; Query time: 415 msec
;; SERVER: 182.254.32.107#53(182.254.32.107)
;; WHEN: Sat Jul 02 07:01:15 EST 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 67

%

Mark