[dns-operations] DNS error reporting

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Feb 16 03:28:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 01:17:42AM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> A secondary request to get the full reason could work OK, yes, and it has
> the advantage of separating debug activity from normal traffic. Changing
> the RRtype will not work because the error can be type-dependent.

That depends on you reaching the server that gave you the error, and
in anycast arrangements you don't have any way to ensure that.  If you
really want an error message, you either need to be able to look it up
(deterministically) based on what you got in your original error or
else you need to get it with the error.

I can imagine putting a URI or a name to consult (don't care which) in
an OPT record or something like that, but I can't see using another
round trip.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com