[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Feb 12 18:44:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:36 AM Mukund Sivaraman <muks at isc.org> wrote:

> Hi Petr
>
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 09:40:33AM +0100, Petr Spacek wrote:
> > > If the browser had a better way to ask the local resolver and get a
> > > detailed error report,
> > > that would be awesome.
> >
> > Marek and anyone else, would you be willing to work with us on improving
> error
> > reporting in DNS answers (not only SERVFAIL, think also about REFUSED
> etc.)?
> >
> > There were some previous attempts but for lack of time we did not move
> much:
> > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg13299.html
> >
> > Would you be willing to help with a draft? (And of course implement it
> into
> > Knot :-)
>
> Have you followed up with Evan Hunt who offered to revive his draft in
> reply to your mail?
>
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg13302.html

Actually, we (Evan, Roy, Wes and myself) started reviving this work in
response to that mail.

We attempted to merge two documents, Evan's and one that Roy and I had
started and then abandoned --
https://github.com/wkumari/draft-wkumari-dnsop-extended-error
Unfortunately we once again got sidetracked and it dropped off of our radar
- this time before even submitting it.

I'm assuming that the authors are still interested and willing to work on
it, and perhaps we'll even manage to stay focused this time :-)