[dns-operations] DNS error reporting (was: DNS at FOSDEM 2016)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Feb 11 11:21:40 UTC 2016

Robert Edmonds <edmonds at mycre.ws> wrote:

> But, see draft-ietf-appsawg-http-problem for a take on fixing up the
> problem in the HTTP world, for HTTP APIs.  If JSON is used to report DNS
> errors, there might be some ideas worth borrowing in that draft.

If we use a URL to provide more information then we can avoid re-inventing
HTTP. The nice thing about URLs is that the resource can provide a
machine-readable application/problem+json response or a human-readable
text/html response depending on accept headers.

Tony.
Southeast Iceland: Southeasterly 6 to gale 8. Rough or very rough. Snow or
wintry showers. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.