[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Thu Feb 4 12:36:06 UTC 2016

> On 4 Feb 2016, at 12:00, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016, Robert Edmonds wrote:
>
>> Maybe a "getdns daemon" would be an interesting hackathon project, and
>> maybe even a "getdns NSS module".
>
> https://github.com/getdnsapi/libnss_getdns
>
> (haven't looked at the code yet, but understood it was more
> proof-of-concept code)

Yes, thats right it was a student project to explore the potential of this, including using a single getdns context to manage long-lived TCP/TLS connections for all the system lookups.  There have been a couple of presentations on this, including:

https://ripe71.ripe.net/presentations/180-DNSSEC-for-Legacy-Applications.pdf <https://ripe71.ripe.net/presentations/180-DNSSEC-for-Legacy-Applications.pdf>

There are serious thoughts about doing a hackathon project (at the next IETF) to use what was learned from this prototype and explore this avenue further. If there is interest in this please let me know. Or take a look at the hackathon site https://ietf.org/hackathon/95-hackathon.html <https://ietf.org/hackathon/95-hackathon.html>, watch out for the DNS projects closer to the time and get in touch.

Sara.