[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Wed Feb 3 19:23:19 UTC 2016

Jim Reid wrote:
> Frankly, I’m struggling to see *any* benefit. In DNS terms, what might this systemd hobby-horse be able to do tomorrow which bind or unbound or.... can’t do today?
>
> Why invest effort writing, distributing and deploying a half-assed DNS resolver when it would be much easier for those Linux boxes to run a proper resolving server which uses mature, stable code and has a viable support base?

They are working on a DNS client, not a DNS server.  Maybe the fact that
their client is implemented as a daemon is confusing, because DNS
servers are also implemented as daemons.

Actually, "DNS client" is a little imprecise.  Probably "resolver
client" is a little better, since they are also working on support for
other related technologies like LLMNR/mDNS/DNS-SD.  AFAIK, BIND and
Unbound don't really target the use cases they are trying to address.

--
Robert Edmonds