[dns-operations] Everyone having their own resolver

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Wed Feb 3 17:20:41 UTC 2016

On 3 Feb 2016, at 7:41, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

> The existing infrastructure can probably handle it initially, sure ..
> but expect your domain registrations and DNS hosting to be an order of
> magnitude more expensive.   Much of the authoritative infrastructure
> has an overhead multiplier built into its capacity, where the
> multiplier is locally chosen based on the likelihood and impact of
> DDoS.  Some infrastructures are built to handle over 100x the
> “normal” traffic load.
>
> When the normal query rate sees an order (or two) magnitude jump, it
> eats away that extra capacity built into the system, and everyone has
> to scale up to get back their DDoS-eating overhead.

These are interesting bold statements, and I've heard similar over the
past few years.

Has anyone ever measured this? That is, there are a bunch of people on
this very mailing list who have access to the caches and possibly even
the query logs for Very Large Resolvers. It would be grand to see
current research (or at least a list of good recent research) on what
percentage of queries are for things in the long tail.

--Paul Hoffman