[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 3 14:58:29 UTC 2016

> On 3 Feb 2016, at 14:13, Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that the systemd resolver is not a full-service
> resolver, but rather just forwards queries to the local caching
> resolver. It does cache locally and perform validation though, so
> does bring benefit.

Frankly, I’m struggling to see *any* benefit. In DNS terms, what might this systemd hobby-horse be able to do tomorrow which bind or unbound or.... can’t do today?

Why invest effort writing, distributing and deploying a half-assed DNS resolver when it would be much easier for those Linux boxes to run a proper resolving server which uses mature, stable code and has a viable support base?

BTW, I realise you’re just the messenger Shane rather than a cheerleader for this systemd silliness. At least I hope that’s the case.