[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Wed Feb 3 13:14:00 UTC 2016

Moin!

On 3 Feb 2016, at 12:33, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> I've always felt every machine should have its own DNS resolver (but
> for
> some exceptions) - a local cache with insignificant access time. Most
> people don't need an 8.8.8.8. An ISP providing a caching resolver is
> similar to an ISP providing a HTTP proxy. Browsers implement caches
> and
> that's usually sufficient. A shared cache helps no doubt, but it isn't
> necessary in most cases. In the case of DNS, having the operating
> system
> provide a default resolver is great.
DNS requests and HTTP request are two totally different beasts wrt
scaling, operation and cost. Also the current authoritative
infrastructure we have today would not scale to resolvers on all
clients. The OS having an resolver is a great idea until it has a
problem, which may be the reason that a lot of OS vendors so far haven't
done it. I do hope that the systemd people offer an option not to use
it.

So long
-Ralf