[dns-operations] DNS at FOSDEM 2016

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Wed Feb 3 11:33:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 11:48:34AM +0100, Shane Kerr wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> At 2016-02-02 21:47:59 +0100
> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 09:10:48PM +0100,
> >  Shane Kerr <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote
> >  a message of 17 lines which said:
> >
> > > I was at FOSDEM 2016 last weekend, and wrote up a few of my
> > > observations around DNS there:
> > >
> > > http://dnsv6lab.net/2016/02/03/DNS-at-FOSDEM/
> >
> > What, still no LDAP client, RDAP client and EPP client in systemd?
>
> He talked about how systemd has its own DHCP client now, because DHCP
> is easy, just ask what is available, then confirm it.
>
> I was thinking "wow, DNS is even easier as a protocol then! ask for a
> name, get an IP address!"
>
> As always, the devil is in the details.
>
> Or, perhaps "DHCP/DNS: minutes to learn, a lifetime to master"?

Cannot master in lifetime. Except, if you're Mark Andrews.

I've always felt every machine should have its own DNS resolver (but for
some exceptions) - a local cache with insignificant access time. Most
people don't need an 8.8.8.8. An ISP providing a caching resolver is
similar to an ISP providing a HTTP proxy. Browsers implement caches and
that's usually sufficient. A shared cache helps no doubt, but it isn't
necessary in most cases. In the case of DNS, having the operating system
provide a default resolver is great.

However, hearing of systemd trying to implement it is a case of
reinventing the wheel. They should use an existing resolver
implementation.

		Mukund