[dns-operations] Embedding MAC address in DNS requests for selective filtering

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Mon Feb 1 16:56:24 UTC 2016

On 1 Feb 2016, at 1:15, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 06:01:37PM +0100,
> Ralf Weber <dns at fl1ger.de> wrote
> a message of 30 lines which said:
>
>> We are in the process of supporting the use of this option through
>> open source efforts with dnsmasq at the CPE level and others. We
>> would be supportive of standardizing this mechanism.
>
> Given this recent decision by IESG, I would say there is little
> chance:
>
> http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/VX0mVElE6FaBFy4I_Vu65Zehl78

Stéphane, that is probably a gross overstatement.

For others on this list: there was a strong and consistent pushback
about that decisions by the IESG, and the IETF chair said that the IESG
would look again at the decision.

Further, the reviled statement by the IESG was about a document that was
explicitly not trying to be a standard. The discussion here is about
something that is trying to be a standard. That is a huge difference.

--Paul Hoffman