[dns-operations] Embedding MAC address in DNS requests for selective filtering

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Mon Feb 1 00:06:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-31 07:30, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 12:03:49PM +0100,
>   bert hubert <bert.hubert at powerdns.com> wrote
>   a message of 34 lines which said:
>
>> If this is done, I would highly recommend that it be done like this:
> Nice algorithm (although I know that anonymisation is hard and, this
> algorithm will have to be reviewed by experts) but it still leaks
> information (such as the number of machines on the LAN).

It also potentially identifies which traffic is from a particular
machine when the user expectation may be that all machines behind a NAT
are non-identifiable, potentially breaking private browsing or otherwise
generating yet another persistent identifier when a user expects to be
anonymous.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/