[dns-operations] EDNS and TLDs

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.email
Sat Dec 17 19:11:18 UTC 2016

On 11/16/2016 06:20 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> yes, and we can see the resulting A and AAAA queries for "." in root
> server query logs. i would very much prefer that you set your SOA MNAME
> to prisoner.iana.org if you want updates to go where they'll do no harm.

Using prisoner for this is overkill, and "bad" in the sense that it's 
still pushing load out where it doesn't belong (albeit to a location 
that's designed to accept a lot of garbage).

When I was running DNS at Yahoo! I put localhost.yahoo.com. as MNAME, 
and had zero problems or complaints; and near-zero spurious update 
packets at ns1. Of course it resolved to (I note that Albert 
Braden mentioned this same solution up-thread.)

I noticed a while back that they put ns1 back in the MNAME, which is 
fine I suppose, as newer systems can handle a lot more garbage than the 
tinkertoys we had 15 years ago. :)  Disappointing to see that 
localhost.yahoo.com no longer resolves though .... kids nowadays ... SMH


More information about the dns-operations mailing list