[dns-operations] I want a pony^H^H^H^H^H^Hto change the TTL (Was: TLD glue sticks around too long

Antoin Verschuren dns at antoin.nl
Tue Dec 6 18:58:22 UTC 2016

Op 6 dec. 2016, om 18:33 heeft Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> het volgende geschreven:

> Then, we should mandate this behaviour, instead of asking for the
> ability of the child to set the TTL at the parent.

I agree. An authoritative answer should override glue.
But what should happen if that expires? If it had a 1 second TTL?
I wouldn’t want a revalidation of the parent every 1 second.

> What do you think
> of section 2.1 of Internet-Draft draft-vixie-dnsext-resimprove? It
> seems OK to me. (Note that section 2.2 addresses the case of ghost
> domains.)

I don’t think "the TTL of the parent's delegating NS RRset is meaningless”.
If a child zone is unreachable, it could stay in the cache to prevent requerying the parent during the parent’s TTL while the child is unreachable.
When the child is reachable, it could be a timer for a resolver to revalidate if I understand section 2.2 correctly, and simply requery the child for authoritative NS records if they expire before that timer ends.

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL
M: +31 6 37682392