[dns-operations] NeoDNS : A new DNS like the one we know

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Aug 28 15:25:42 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 01:21:15PM +0800, Jaxson Peng wrote:
> the url: https://rot256.io/post/neodns/
> How do you think of it?

Like every other single-purpose replacement of the DNS that's been
cropping up, this scratches one itch without even thinking about all
the other itchy parts of the DNS.

If we're actually going to replace the DNS, we probably ought at least
to include other problems people have had with the DNS in the problem
statement.  Variants/synonyms is one obvious example.

I am assuming, but I can't tell from the text, that this doesn't apply
only to TLDs.  If it _does_, then this appears to be an attack at the
DNS tree.

Finally, this appears to solve the very same problem as is solved by
DNSSEC, without being an obvious improvement.  It might be an
improvement in that it doesn't rely on a root key, but something
better than assuming that into the requirements seems to be needed.  I
haven't done the analysis to figure out how this works through caches.

For whatever it's worth, the IAB has a program intended to explore
some of these issues in order to figure out what things we might want
in a new identifier system on the Internet -- if indeed such a desire
is reasonable.  inip-discuss at iab.org.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com