[dns-operations] DNS server benchmarking sanity check

Mark Delany x2t at foxtrot.emu.st
Sun Aug 14 21:19:13 UTC 2016

On 14Aug16, Anand Buddhdev allegedly wrote:

> NSD can spawn multiple processes, and each process binds to a socket.
> However, the kernel doesn't distribute queries evenly amongst the
> processes. This can lead to some processes being overworked while others
> are lightly loaded.
>
> SO_REUSEPORT solves this by letting the kernel divide the queries much
> more evenly amongst all the processes, so that they can deliver the
> maximum number of responses each.

In either case, about a year or two ago, I found that the mainstream
kernels still do a lot of serialization in the UDP stack such that
it's not possible to utilize all available cores on a modern machine.

It's possible that has changed recently, but it generally seems that
UDP hasn't had the love that TCP gets.

Mark.